Friday, November 13, 2009

Making a Change: Whitney's Story

With a cheerful greeting and smile, Whitney is the first person you meet at Project Hope and one of the driving forces in our Community Store. Friendly and outgoing, she manages to remain optimistic despite the challenges in her life.


Whitney: “I want to be a role model for my kids and have a better life. I don’t want them to make the same mistakes I made.”

Whitney’s story is all too common: she dropped out of high school at 17, spent her time at clubs and got caught up with a crowd that was involved with theft and drugs. At 19, she found herself pregnant and left alone to raise the baby. When she was pregnant with her second child that Whitney realized she needed to change her life.

With no education or proper work experience, she found it impossible to find a job that could support her and two children. So, while she was 6 months pregnant, Whitney embarked on getting her GED.

Although she received no support or encouragement from friends and family, she persevered and received her GED before the birth of her second child. When asked about her motivation, Whitney responded, “I wanted to be a role model for my kids.”

With her GED, she went to a local jobs program and was introduced to Project Hope. Whitney was nervous and unsure if she could learn the retail requirements and customer service but she was surprised at how quickly she picked things up. “My confidence level went up, way up. I enjoy waking up early in the morning and coming to work”. These changes have given her the confidence to make changes in her personal life as well.

When Whitney first started at Project Hope, she was supporting 7 family members, all of whom shared her small 2 bedroom apartment. Recently, she moved out on her own with her daughters.

It’s been challenging but she’s pleased with her progress. “It’s very scary, but it’s very exciting and I feel independent. It’s a new learning experience. And I feel more of a connection with my daughters; we’re bonding." Now, she’s thinking about continuing her education and remains hopeful about the future and the promise of a better life.

3 comments:

  1. How awesome.The 1st time i walked into this store, Whiteney was playing some music and working hard. When she looked up and saw me, she beamed that smile at me and said i wish i were you. You really seem to enjoy your job. SHe is a hopeful person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney is always so warm and refreshing. I commend her with how she has changed her life and I pray that she is strengthened daily. She is doing a great job. I actually miss her smile and warmth when I shop and she's not around. Keep up the good work and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitney,
    Thank you for helping me at your store this morning and for introducing me to Scott. I wish I would have stopped to visit with you. After reading the above blog I realize I missed an opportunity to get to know a remarkable young lady! You will probably go on to help many other people as you continue to grow in strength and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete